About: What Is Somatic Movement Education?
Somatic movement education (somatics) is a multi-layered approach to healing and personal transformation through movement re-education and hands-on repatterning. BodyMindMovement somatic awareness attends to the multiple layers of human experience--physical, energetic, emotional, mental, and spiritual--and helps to chart how change in one of level of experience will affect the others.
What Are the Benefits?
- Easier movement and better alignment
- Improved physical function and health
- Reduction in musculoskeletal pain
- Healing psychophysical wounds that are held in the body
- Stimulation of creativity
- Deepening connection to oneself, the environment, and others
- Infants and children with developmental challenges and disabilities
- Movement specialists in dance, yoga, martial arts, and athletics
- Adults with chronic health conditions
- People with physical disabilities
- People seeking to deepen their spiritual journeys
Who Trains as Somatic Movement Educators?
- Teachers and practitioners of dance, yoga, martial arts
- People in the caring professions: PT, OT, massage therapists, and bodyworkers
- Artists and educators
- Psychotherapists, psychologists, counselors, coaches